JOB POSTING: BREWER/CELLARPERSON
Breakside Brewery is looking for an experienced and hard working Brewer.
Breakside is an employee-owned, award-winning brewery in Portland, Oregon. This is a unique opportunity to join a team of brewers at a growing, well regarded brewery in the greatest beer city in the world.
This position will be at our Milwaukie, OR brewery, and the position will be focused on wort production and
cellaring. Administrative and managerial elements will be limited. The ideal candidate will be able to quickly train on our production brewhouse and cellar, learn our SOPs, and produce wort and beer to spec. As with all of our brewers, we will seek a candidate who can fulfill these job responsibilities in the short term and who looks to take on more responsibilities with the company over time.
Tentative start date for this position is January 9, 2023.
PLEASE NOTE: Our brewery operates 7 days a week from 5 AM until 11 PM. The schedule for this position will either be Tues-Sat (Sun/Mon off) OR Sun-Thurs (Fri/Sat off). Shift times will vary on multi-week rotation, and this job includes rotating ‘early open’ (5 AM start) or ‘late close’ (~11 PM finish) shifts.
- Producing wort on a 30 barrel brewhouse
- Brewhouse cleaning, CIP, and routine maintenance
- Cellar work, including fermenter/bright tank CIP, beer transfer, blending, packaging and other beer handling
- Yeast handling and harvesting, with some accompanying lab work
- Upholding and maintaining rigorous sanitation standards in brewhouse and cellar
- Routine maintenance and utility work on equipment and facilities
- Assisting with other brewery operations as needed including packaging, shipping/receiving, QA/QC, and R&D.Qualifications
- Minimum 2 years professional experience in a brewery, with strong preference given to candidates who have worked in breweries producing more than 7,000 bbl per year.
- Brewhouse/wort production experience, preferably on a system with a brew length of 15 bbl or more.
- Familiarity with a wide range of raw materials.
- Experience with basic cellar and packaging operations, including tank CIPs and transfers.
- Mechanical aptitude; skilled with basic brewery equipment troubleshooting and repair.
- Ability to take direction and accept constructive criticism.
- Demonstration of strict adherence to SOPs.
- A passion for craft beer, with a dedication to our core values and beliefs.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Current forklift certification and/or safety training preferred.Additional Requirements Include:
- ● Moderate physical demands requiring frequent manual lifting/moving of materials weighing 5-55 pounds and occasional moving materials weighing 55-160 lbs.
- ● Work requires frequent standing and walking, frequent bending, reaching and occasional kneeling, and squatting..
- ● Flow of work and duties require normal mental and visual attention; visual requirements include depth perception, color vision, andclarity of vision for distant (20 feet or more) and near (less than 20 inches) work.
- ● The brewery is a manufacturing environment where exposure to moisture, heat, electrical current, refrigerated areas, noise andmoving machinery are frequent during the day.This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws.Breakside will offer a competitive benefits package including health insurance and paid vacation.Interested candidates should send a cover letter with resume to Ben Edmunds ([email protected]breakside.com) with “BREAKSIDE BREWER” in the subject line. Closing date for applications is December 15, 2022.